Old-Fashioned Chicken Noodle-Less Soup with Winter Vegetables
This recipe serves: 8
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
- 6 chicken breasts with the bone, about 3 pounds total
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 3 parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 12 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the skin from the chicken breasts and place them in a large soup pot. Add the chicken broth, bring it to a boil and reduce the heat so that the broth just simmers. Simmer until the chicken is thoroughly cooked, about 15 minutes. Remove the chicken and transfer to a plate to cool.
- Skim the fat from the broth and bring it back to a boil. Add the onion, carrots, parsnips and celery. Simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, discard the bones from the chicken and chop the meat into small pieces.
- Add the chicken and parsley to the soup pot and simmer for another minute or two. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in warm soup bowls with a thick slice of bread.
- 350 calories
- 29 carbs
Remember your portion sizes. Post WLS patients should only consume around 1/2 cup portions, which would also decrease the calorie and carbs from this recipe…