Salmon with Braised Fennel and Chive Mustard Sauce
1/2 cup Chive Mustard Sauce (see recipe) salt to taste
For the braised fennel:
4 large fennel bulbs
2 teaspoons canola oil
For the broiled salmon:
4 Salmon Fillets, about 4 to 6 ounces each
1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
Freshly ground black pepper (salt to taste)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chicken stock
- Wash the fennel and trim the stalks flush with the bulb. Cut off any discolored or bruised layers. Reserve several fennel fronds for garnish. Slice each fennel bulb in half lengthwise and remove the core.
- In a large saucepan, add the fennel, garlic slices, fennel seeds and chicken stock. Simmer until the fennel can be easily pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Add the lemon juice and salt to taste.
- While the fennel is cooking, prepare the Chive Mustard Sauce.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Season the salmon generously with salt and pepper. Place the seasoned fillets on a non-stick baking sheet.
- Broil the fillets for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, turning only once. (Thin fillets take less time, thicker fillets take more.)
- Place the fillets on warmed plates over the fennel and topped with the mustard sauce. If desired, finely chop the fennel fronds to garnish the plates.
Serving Size: 1 salmon fillet, 1 cup fennel and 1 tablespoon sauce
Amount Per Serving:
Protein: 32 g
Total Carbohydrate: 21 g
Dietary Fiber: 8 g
Soluble Fiber: 0 g
Insoluble Fiber: 0 g
Sugar: 3 g
Total Fat: 16 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 7 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 5 g
Trans Fatty Acid (tfa) 0 g
Omega-3 Fatty Acid: 3 g
Omega-6 Fatty Acid: 1 g
Cholesterol: 78 mg
Percent Calories from Fat: 41%
Percent Calories from Protein: 36%
Percent Calories from Carbohydrate 23%