Holiday Party Eating Tips
Kim Bariatrics Center for Bariatric Surgery
There is a chill in the air and some department stores have already moved the Halloween merchandise out of the way, to make way for Santa and the reindeer.
So, it’s time to think about how to handle yourself with all of the tempting treats of the upcoming season… Here are a few ideas around Holiday Parties
- Have a light healthy meal or snack to take the edge off your hunger before you go to a party.
- Make just one trip to the party buffet.
- Don’t hang out near the food. Socialize a distance away. This will help prevent unconscious nibbling.
- When you arrive at a party, avoid rushing to the food. Greet people you know- conversation is calorie-free! Get a beverage and settle into the festivities before eating.
- Hold your glass in the hand that you normally eat with to make finger foods less accessible.
- If you’re bringing a dish to share, make it healthful and delicious. That way you know there will be one thing you can munch on without racking up calories too fast.
- Have an accountability partner that will slap your wrist when you reach for too much.
- DON’T go it alone!
Over this holiday weekend, plan to spend (or eat) extra calories, just like you plan your budget. If you know you’ll eat more on a special occasion, you need to bank the calories before and afterward. And get up earlier on Thanksgiving (for example) and go for a long walk or bike ride, thus allowing yourself more in The Bank.