Allison’s Bariatric Friendly Ways to Add Pumpkin to Your Diet
Ways to add pumpkin to your diet and still stick to your meal plan!
- Pumpkin flavored coffee (ex: Dunkin Donuts OR Green Mountain Coffee Pumpkin Spice)
- Add pumpkin spice to your coffee grounds before brewing.
- Add sugar-free pumpkin flavoring to sugar-free hot chocolate, coffee, or apple cider (ex: Torani Sugar-Free Pumpkin Pie syrup)
- Pop in a piece of Extra sugar-free pumpkin spice chewing gum.
- Add ¼ cup canned pumpkin to 4 oz. plain Greek yogurt and sweeten with 1 Splenda packet.
- Add chopped and roasted pumpkin to a salad.
- Add canned pumpkin to chili.
Pumpkin Pie Protein Shake
- 1 scoop Bari Essential Vanilla Bliss protein powder
- ¼ cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Splenda to taste
- Simply blend with ice and enjoy!
Pumpkin Turkey Chili
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 low-sodium chili seasoning packet
- 1 can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 can no added salt black beans, strained
- 1 can pinto beans with jalapenos
- 1 can Rotel
- 1/4 cup Splenda
- plain Greek yogurt, if desired
- cinnamon, if desired
- In a nonstick skillet, saute chopped onion, orange bell pepper, and green bell pepper. When onion is translucent, brown ground turkey with vegetable mixture. Add ½ cup water, chili seasoning packet, canned pumpkin, and Splenda to meat mixture. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Once most of the water has evaporated, add beans and Rotel. Cook an additional 5-10 minutes, until mixture is heated throughout. Serve with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of cinnamon if desired.
Protein Pumpkin Cheesecake
- 2 scoops BariEssential PRO Vanilla Bliss protein powder
- ¼ cup canned pumpkin
- 8 oz. fat-free cream cheese
- ½ cup sugar-free cool whip
- pumpkin spice
- vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly until well combined. Pour mixture into baking pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes then turn temperature down to 200 degrees and bake for an additional hour. Remove, let cool. Place in fridge for 4 – 5 hours to cool completely.