Gastric Sleeve Resection (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy)
Laparoscopic gastric sleeve resection, also known as vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG), is an exciting weight loss surgery option that combines many of the advantages of both laparoscopic gastric bypass and the LAP-BAND® System. Dr. David Kim is one of the few bariatric surgeons in the region to offer patients four different options for surgical weight loss. He and Dr. Bridget Holden believe that laparoscopic gastric sleeve resection or Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, is an excellent choice for patients who decide that the other types of bariatric surgery may not quite meet their treatment needs. To learn more about reversing the effects of obesity with laparoscopic gastric sleeve resection, contact our Fort Worth-area practice today.
Dr. Kim has performed over 2,000 Gastric Sleeve surgeries in over 6 years. This is one of the largest series of Gastric Sleeve surgeries in the nation. It has become a cornerstone for Dr. Kim’s practice because it has been proven in his hands to be a safe and effective operation, for those people who don’t want anatomic alteration of gastric bypass, nor a plastic insert, like lap band surgery. Patients have come from all over the United States to have Dr. Kim perform this operation because he is well known for his expertise in this field.
The Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve Resection
Gastric sleeve resection, or vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG), was originally part of a much older operation called the biliopancreatic diversion. This operation allows a patient to lose a significant amount of weight.
Through a few small incisions, Dr. Kim will use a stapling device to permanently remove 75 – 80 percent of the volume of the stomach. The result is a slender tube in the shape of a banana that maintains the natural openings leading to and from this new tubular “stomach.” No surgery is performed on the intestines. This is all performed through a scope and minimally invasive techniques. Because the intestines are re-routed, patients do not lose too much weight or suffer from severe vitamin deficiencies.
What Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve Resection Accomplishes
Laparoscopic gastric sleeve resection (vertical sleeve gastrectomy – VSG) at our weight loss surgery practice accomplishes the following:
- Since 75- 80 percent of the capacity of the stomach is removed, a person can only eat a few ounces at a time.
- As with laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery, research has shown that the hunger hormone (ghrelin) is greatly reduced after surgery. Researchers feel that this aids in the satisfaction patients appear to have with small amounts of food.
- It can cure Type II Diabetes 75% of the time.
- It is also an excellent operation to achieve cure for high blood pressure and sleep apnea.
Advantages of Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve Resection (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy – VSG)
- Laparoscopic gastric sleeve resection is simpler than gastric bypass surgery. Unlike gastric bypass, this procedure does not re-route the passage of food.
- The procedure is less likely to cause complications such as the malabsorption of vitamins.
- It allows for weight loss similar to what is experienced with gastric bypass surgery.
- It allows females to conceive and deliver healthy babies.
- Most insurance companies cover this procedure.
- It will cure obesity related diseases like Diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea.
- Because of significant weight loss, patients will find tremendous relief from back pain, hip pain, knee pain, and foot pain allowing them to walk and exercise more.
Disadvantages of Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve Resection (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy – VSG)
- Rare complications can include blockages in the gastric sleeve or post-operative leaks from the staple line. Experience matters and Dr. Kim has performed thousands of these procedures with a complication risk much lower than the national average.
Getting Started with the Procedure
If you would like to learn more about this exciting option for bariatric surgery, we encourage you to contact our practice and attend a private consultation. During this relaxed, informative session, you will get to meet with Dr. Kim or Dr. Holden and our staff and learn more about the advantages and disadvantages that are associated with this procedure and with our other treatment options. We want to ensure that you have all the resources that you need to make an informed decision about the type of bariatric surgery that is best for you.
Other steps that will need to be completed before surgery include filling out a medical history packet and undergoing an evaluation process to determine whether you are an appropriate candidate for gastric sleeve resection (vertical sleeve gastrectomy). Filling out this packet will greatly expedite the process. We also request that patients attend our Bariatric University program to learn what to expect before, during, and after treatment.
One of the most rewarding aspects of bariatric care for our team members is being able to witness the transformation that occurs in our patients after surgery. Through support groups and follow-up visits, we continue to build relationships with our patients and monitor their progress as they shed the cocoon of excess weight and emerge into their new lives. We will also give you detailed diet and exercise instructions to follow after surgery that ensures the most successful weight loss results.
Learn More by Contacting Our Bariatric Practice
To learn more about gastric sleeve resection, vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG), contact our Fort Worth practice today. At the Kim Bariatric Institute, Dr. Kim and Dr. Bridget Holden are proud to offer comprehensive care and support throughout the course of your treatment.
Dr. Kim is proud to offer his services to patients traveling from nearby areas. For your convenience, we have provided driving directions from the following locations.