Am I A Candidate?
It is estimated that more than half of the population in the United States is overweight, and one-third of them are obese. These obese individuals are at risk for developing one or more serious health conditions. Fortunately, obesity surgery at our Dallas, Fort Worth, and Frisco-area practice can help reduce the risk of developing these co-morbidities as well as help obese individuals to live happier and healthier lives. Dr. David Kim is an experienced medical professional who has been recognized by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery as a “Surgeon of Excellence” for combining advanced obesity surgery techniques with individualized care and attention. If you are interested in obesity surgery at our practice, find out whether you might be a suitable candidate by reading the information below.
Obesity Surgery Candidates
While obesity surgery provides effective weight-loss options for obese individuals, the procedures are not for everyone. People who wish to undergo obesity surgery should meet with Dr. Kim to determine whether they are qualified candidates. Qualified candidates for obesity surgery procedures provided at our practice near Dallas, Fort Worth and Frisco including gastric sleeve resection, gastric bypass surgery, Biliary Pancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch, revision weight loss surgery, and LAP-BAND® System should:
- Be between 18 and 65 years old
- Weigh at least 60 pounds more than their ideal body weight
- Be morbidly obese, or have a body mass index of 40 or higher or have a body mass index of 35-39.9 with one or more severe medical conditions related to morbid obesity, such as high cholesterol, hypertension, heart disease, stroke, sleep apnea, fatty liver disease, type 2 diabetes, cancer, osteoarthritis, and acid reflux disease
- Note: the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has recently approved LAP-BAND® System surgery for patients with at least a 30 BMI plus one or more comorbidity conditions (a severe health condition related to obesity). This new approval makes it possible for millions of patients who may not have qualified for LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding surgery in the past to become candidates for the procedure.
- Have unsuccessfully attempted to lose weight through multiple documented weight loss methods
- Be free from drug or alcohol dependence
- Be free from emotional, medical, psychological, or other special conditions that may complicate obesity surgery
- Have a thorough understanding of obesity surgery and what it can and cannot accomplish
- Maintain realistic goals and expectations for obesity surgery
- Be highly motivated and committed to making sensible nutrition and lifestyle changes that are necessary for successful weight loss after obesity surgery
There are other specific factors that are important in determining whether an individual makes a good candidate for an obesity surgery procedure. Dr. Kim is an experienced surgeon serving Dallas, Fort Worth, Frisco, and nearby areas who can determine which obesity surgery procedure is right for you during an initial consultation. Please contact our practice to schedule an appointment today. To qualify for your consultation, please print and fill out the online medical packet.
Your Body Mass Index (BMI)
What does your BMI mean?
|BMI < 20||under weight|
|BMI 20-24.9||healthy weight|
|BMI 25-29.9||over weight|
|BMI 35-39.9||severe obesity|
|BMI 40-49.9||morbid obesity|
|BMI > 50||super morbid obesity|
Body mass index (BMI) is a method that is used to estimate whether an individual is a healthy weight by measuring weight in comparison to an individual’s height. Individuals who do not fall within a normal weight may be at risk for serious health conditions related to obesity. BMI is also an important factor in determining whether an individual is a good candidate for obesity surgery. Individuals who have a BMI of 35 or higher may be good candidates for obesity surgery at our practice near Dallas, Fort Worth, and Frisco. As the result of the FDA’s recent approval of LAP-BAND® System surgery for patients with a BMI of 30 or more, plus at least one serious health problem related to obesity, patients who meet that criteria may qualify as candidates for that specific procedure. Please use the calculator above to determine your BMI.
It is important to understand that BMI is not always an accurate way to measure an individual’s body mass. Measuring BMI for children, elderly adults, and body builders, for example, may produce results that do not fall within the same scale that is used to measure other people. Therefore, it is best to meet with an experienced bariatric surgeon such as Dr. Kim to determine whether you are a good candidate for obesity surgery at our Dallas, Fort Worth, and Frisco area practice.
New Patient Information / Medical History
Patients who are good candidates for obesity surgery must undergo a screening process at our Fort Worth practice near Dallas in addition to other pre-surgery preparations. Dr. Kim, Dr. Bridget Holden, and their team will evaluate the patient’s complete medical history, as well as perform routine lab work and other tests as necessary. Contact our practice to start the pre-surgery preparation process. To join the weight loss program and start the obesity surgery preparation process, patients must submit the following:
Please read our frequently asked questions to learn more about becoming a patient of our practice. You can also find out how other patients have benefited from joining our program by browsing our before-and-after gallery or reading testimonials from actual patients.
Find Out Whether You Are an Obesity Surgery Candidate
Our practice offers state-of-the-art obesity surgery procedures, including gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, and LAP-BAND® System to Dallas, Fort Worth, Frisco, Grapevine, Southlake, Colleyville, and nearby communities. Dr. David Kim or Dr. Bridget Holden can help determine which bariatric procedure is best for your weight loss needs and goals. Please contact our practice to schedule an obesity surgery consultation. We work with numerous insurance companies and offer a variety of financing options to help make your obesity surgery procedure affordable.
Dr. Kim is proud to offer his services to patients traveling from nearby areas. For your convenience, we have provided driving directions from the following locations.