Meet Dr. David Kim
Dr. David D. Kim is passionate about helping his patients overcome the disease of morbid obesity. His skill, experience, and exemplary results have helped him earn recognition as a “Surgeon of Excellence” from the American Society of Bariatric Surgery. He is one of the few weight loss surgeons to receive this honor in the Fort Worth, Dallas, and Arlington areas. He was the first bariatric surgeon in Fort Worth to perform laparoscopic gastric bypass, a complicated procedure considered by many to be the bariatric treatment that requires the most surgical skill. He pioneered the laparoscopic gastric sleeve operation, in addition to the technique known as the David Kim Inverted Gastric Sleeve™, or Kim Gastric Sleeve. Dr. Kim has performed thousands of sleeve surgeries, identifying his experience as one of the largest series in North America. He is one the few bariatric surgeons in the nation who offer not only one, but all four different types of weight loss surgery: LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding, Gastric Sleeve (including the David Kim Inverted Gastric Sleeve™ procedure), Gastric Bypass, and Duodenal Switch operations. Because of his excellent results and national reputation for his dedication to the field of bariatrics, he was named “Top Doctor” in the U.S. by his peers (Castle Connolly, 2011 and 2012).
Message from Dr. Kim
I love bariatric surgery because my patients who have suffered so much and for so long have the opportunity to regain their health and self-esteem. All of this leads to improvement in the quality of one’s life after surgery… truly allowing a bariatric patient to Live Life Again.
Education and Experience
Dr. Kim received his medical degree at Northeastern Ohio University College of Medicine. Upon graduation, he completed his general surgery residency at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio and his peripheral vascular surgery fellowship at Ohio State University. Dr. Kim completed fellowships in advanced laparoscopic bariatric surgery at both the Medical College of Virginia and Washington University in St. Louis.
He is experienced in a variety of surgical fields, but his passion for bariatric surgery drove him to dedicate his practice entirely to this discipline. Since 2002, he has served the Dallas, Fort Worth, Frisco and Arlington areas, offering his skills as a bariatric surgeon to men and women from these communities and beyond. In 2003, he founded the bariatric surgery program at North Hills Hospital and was appointed to be its director. He was instrumental in starting the weight loss surgery program at several other North Texas Hospitals.
In addition to being named a “Surgeon of Excellence,” Dr. Kim has received numerous other honors throughout his career. In 2006, North Hills Hospital named him their Physician of the Year. He was also selected as a “Top Doc” in Fort Worth Magazine by his peers. Dr. Kim was recognized as a national leader in Bariatric Surgery by Castle Connolly in 2011 and 2012.
His commitment to helping patients transform their lives extends across the spectrum of their treatment, from being involved in pre-operative education to follow-up care and support programs after surgery. Dr. Kim has touched the lives of many men and women within the community. To meet personally with one of our bariatric surgeons, contact our weight loss surgery practice today.
- Voted in 2011 and 2012 as a national leader in Bariatric Surgery by Castle Connolly
- Designated a “Bariatric Surgeon of Excellence” by the American Society for Bariatric Surgery in 2006 and recertified in 2007 through 2011
- Active Staff, Victory Medical Center of Hurst
- Active Staff, Texas General Hospital of Grand Prairie
- Active Staff, Baylor Medical Center at Trophy Club
- Active Staff at Baylor Grapevine Hospital
- Active Staff, Forest Park Medical Center of Dallas
- Active Staff, Forest Park Medical Center of Frisco
- Active Staff at North Hills Hospital, 2003 – 2011
- Director, Bariatric Surgery, Wise Regional Health Systems 2008-2009
- Director of the Bariatric Surgery Program at North Hills Hospital, 2003 – 2008
- Voted by his peers as one of Fort Worth Magazine’s “Top Docs” for general and bariatric surgery in 2007
- Voted Physician of the Year at North Hills Hospital in 2006
- Chief of Vascular Surgery at Wilkes Regional Medical Center, 1992 to 2003
- First surgeon to perform laparoscopic gastric bypass in Fort Worth, 2003
- Chief of General Surgery at Wilkes Regional Medical Center, 1992-1993; 1994-1995; 1997-1998; 2001-2002
- Wilkes Regional Medical Center Board of Trustees, 1998-2000
- Vice-President of Adopt-a-Village Medical Missions, 1998
- President of the Wilkes County Medical Society, 1997-1998
- B.S. Chemistry, Youngstown State University, 1980-1982
- M.D., Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, 1982-1986
- General surgery residency at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine/Mt. Sinai Medical Center, 1986-1990
- General surgery Chief Resident at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine/Mt. Sinai Medical Center, 1990-1991
- Peripheral vascular surgery fellowship at Park Medical Center, 1991-1992
- Laparoscopic gastric bypass fellowship at the Medical College of Virginia, March 2003
- North Carolina, 1992 to 2004
- Texas, 2003 to present
- California, 1989 to present
- Ohio, 1986 to present
- Fellow, American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Certified by the American Board of Surgery
- Tarrant County Medical Society
- Southeastern Surgical Congress
- American Society of General Surgeons
Contact the Practice of Dr. David Kim
Having already helped over 6,500 patients, bariatric surgeon David Kim, M.D. has the skill and experience to change your life as well. Contact our practice today to begin on your journey towards a new body and a healthier future.
Dr. Kim is proud to offer his services to patients traveling from nearby areas. For your convenience, we have provided driving directions from the following locations.